Sunday, May 9, 2010

Savouring Sunday ~ Lemon Bars

There’s nothing that says springtime like a nice fruit filled dessert.  I tend to feel less guilty about eating sweets when I know I’m meeting one of my daily required fruit servings by indulging.  Now if I could learn to just have one or two instead of …  Well, you know how it can be!

DSCF5224

These are some of my favourite treats to bake, and they are a dessert that I’ve become known for in our family.  My brother-in-law doesn’t like chocolate (I know, who doesn’t like chocolate?), but has a fondness for lemon, so I started making these special for him, and it seems they always come back by popular demand.

I just finished making a batch of these for my families Mother’s Day lunch, along with raspberry tartlets and chocolate chip cookies.  Looks like next week will be heavy on the treadmill!

Happy Mother’s Day to all and have a wonderful day with your family!

Lemon Bars

1/3 cup butter or margarine

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 eggs

3/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

powdered sugar (optional)

In a medium mixing bowl beat butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.  Add the 1/4 cup granulated sugar; beat till combined.  Beat in the 1 cup flour till crumbly.  Press mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 8x8x2-inch baking pan.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes or just till golden.

Meanwhile, for filling, in a small mixing bowl combine eggs, the 3/4 cup granulated sugar, the 2 tablespoons flour, lemon peel, lemon juice, and baking powder.  Beat 2 minutes or till combined.

Pour filling over baked layer.  Bake 20 minutes more or till lightly browned around edges and centre is set.  Cool on a wire rack.  If desired, sift powdered sugar over top.  Cut into bars.  Makes 20 bars.

**Note: I like to use at least a whole lemon, both the peel and the juice, when making this recipe, because we enjoy the extra tartness, but that’s obviously up to your taste buds.

4.5/5 Snakes

This recipe is taken from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook as published in 1996.

2001076042-260x260-0-0_Better_Homes_and_Gardens_New_Cook_Book_Jennifer_Da

8 comments:

  1. We are big fans of lemon desserts too - may have to try out this recipe!

    I'm returning the visit from the Blog Hop. Thanks for stopping by. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I'm addicted to chocolate I have to admit that I love lemon bars too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made lemon bars in years, but now that you've reminded me of them I think I'll have to make them soon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lemon bars and these look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The desserts were a huge success for Mother's Day! I thankfully gave them all away so that I wouldn't over indulge in any leftovers. *phew*

    ReplyDelete
  6. These seem perfect for a summertime dessert. Thanks for featuring the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lemon bars, and I'm pretty sure I have that cookbook, somewhere :) I'll have to try them. (queen bee)

    ReplyDelete