Saturday, May 8, 2010

Read the Book, See the Movie Challenge - 2010

Read_the_book_see_the_movie_challenge

(Click on the button above to link back to C.B. James’ main post at Ready When You are, C.B. , which outlines all of the necessary information for the challenge.)

I have already signed up for two challenges this year, but I’m confident that I could handle at least one more.  I had been nonchalantly searching through the available challenges over the last week, and as soon as I saw this one I knew I had a winner. 

I am one of those people that will not watch a movie until I’ve read the book.  I know I’m not the only one out there.  It would seem that this is a slightly obsessive practice maintained by many the avid reader.  *phew*  This - like finding out that other people do any of the OCDish type things I do - makes me feel better. 

I’ve decided to commit to a mid-level goal in this challenge, as I find there is a lot more work involved in providing insights into both a book and a movie, and I tend to be a busy girl.  Dependent upon the speed at which I complete this goal, I may be inclined to move up to the next level.  We shall see.

For now, I’ve chosen to complete the Saturday Movie Marathon: four books/movies, level.

My selections are:

  1. The Blind Side, as written by Michael Lewis, and directed by John Lee Hancock
  2. The Time Traveler’s Wife, as written by Audrey Niffenegger, and directed by Robert Schwentke
  3. Postcards from the Edge, as written by Carrie Fisher, and directed by Mike Nichols

Wish me luck!

11 comments:

  1. Good luck on this challenge. I always have a hard time going to see the movie if I have read the book. They just never compare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Thank you for visiting and following my site =) Good luck to you on this challenge. I've watched The Time Traveler's Wife before and really enjoyed it and am looking forward to read the book myself! Hope you enjoy reading those books you listed above!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This challenge looks like great fun! I've thought about taking part, but I'm busy with two challenges, and all the books I want to read I have seen the film already - which is probably cheating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am now a follower as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new follower. This is such a fun challenge! I see you're currently reading Time Traveler's Wife. I absolutely love that book!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luck! I didn't realize The Blind Side was a book until after I watched it, but I have to say it was a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I know a book-to-movie is coming out, I'm with you, I always read the book first. However, I did find once (with The Other Boleyn Girl), if you LOVE a book you might be better off not seeing the movie. After seeing this movie, which I did not like, it even took away from my reading experience. :(

    I didn't know there was a book of The Blind Side, but I sure did enjoy the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie~ Sadly, that is often true.

    Shy~ Thanks for visiting. You should definitely read the book, as I hear that it is far better than the movie, which is great news if you loved the film.

    Bethany~ Maybe, but I wouldn't tell anyone if you decided to participate. ;-)

    Teresa~ Thanks and welcome.

    Alee~ Thanks for visiting and becoming a follower.

    Jo~ I'm really looking forward to seeing that one.

    Kim~ I know what you mean. There are some movies that I just won't see in fear of spoiling the way I've imagined the characters. I am this way with I Capture the Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I just did this last month and had a blast. I make little mini-challenges for myself each month (except this one but that's a long story). If you're at all interested in some other titles, check out my end-of-month summary
    on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo the Blind Side. I've been considering doing the same thing with this one.

    Q: Did you like Where the Wild Things Are?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nancy~ Thanks for the ideas!

    Juju~ I haven't seen Where the Wild Things Are yet. How did you like it?

    ReplyDelete