Monday, May 3, 2010

Chapters Coupon = Book Shopping Spree!

So Chapters decided that it had been too long since I graced it with my presence, and offered a “Buy one, get one 50% off”coupon this weekend.  Well, it’s actually a coupon for Mother’s Day, but why quibble.

I went a little crazy, but I did so mostly in the bargain book section, so the wallet was not totally depleted of grocery money.   I ended up finding a second coupon, and went back on Saturday to buy some more, because I wasn’t quite satisfied with the volume of Friday’s pickings.  (There’s that literary gluttony again.)

Friday’s Coupon

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

The Odyssey by Homer

wuthering-heights

anna karenina imagesCANB8LUS

I found the first two under the Premier Classics edition from Knopf Publishing, which were fairly affordable, and I am very excited to have picked up The Odyssey under the Arcturus Publishing label for only two dollars.  What a score!  I couldn’t believe it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Saturday’s Coupon

Little Children by Tom Perrotta

Spook Country by William Gibson

Great Tastes: Mediterranean Cookbook by Bay Books

The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Little children spook the wizard the wind

I found The Wizard of Oz and The Wind in the Willows in copies with beautiful illustrations.  I’m confident that these will be books that my future children will remember into adulthood, just as I remember some of the special books that I treasured as a child.  Now I just have to have the children to share them with before I fill the nursery with books and we don’t have a place to read them in. 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Yaaay! ANNA KARENINA~~~ <3

    And hope you're enjoying The Time Traveler's Wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good score! After thoroughly enjoying Jane Eyre, I will have to read Wuthering Heights. Someday "Anna". (queen bee)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna Karenina sounds like she would be a dancer on 'Dancing with the Stars'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice bunch of books. I just read Wind in the Willows for the first time last year and laughed my head off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went on my own book shopping spree. I meant to pick up 2 for my husband and 1 for me (Anna Karenina coincidentally) and I ended up with 2 for my husband and 4 for me. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose City Reader ~ I don't recall what The Wind in the Willows is about, but I look forward to refreshing my memory.

    Loni ~ hahah, it would seem there are many of us with this propensity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read The Wizrd of Oz, Wind in the Willows and Wuthering Hieghts recently and have reviewed them all on my blog. I loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to go and check out your reviews. Thanks Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am impressed, I have to say. Very rarely do I come across a blog that’s both educational and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.

    With Thanks!
    Chapters Coupons

    ReplyDelete