Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wondrous Words ~ April 28th, 2010

wondrouswednesday

Wondrous Words is a weekly meme that I’ve decided to participate in, that is hosted by Kathy at Bermudaonion.  The goal is to define new words (to us) that we’ve encountered whilst reading throughout the week.  Please click on the button above to link to the Bermudaonion post outlining the specifics for the meme.

apologize-apologize

This weeks selections were chosen from Apologize, Apologize by Elizabeth Kelly.  I actually had to narrow it down to these three, as Kelly’s verbosity had me reaching for the dictionary on many occasions.  I’m not sure if this is just her style, or if she was trying to make a point about the highbrow intellect of this old-money family from Martha’s Vineyard.

parochialism - “Typical Catholic pathology – parochialism as an excuse for sadism,” I said with a high degree of personal satisfaction and drawing a derisive snort from Bingo.  Page 101

Babylon.com defined parochialism as narrow-mindedness; provinciality, state of having a limited perspective.

epicene – It’s okay,” I said, handing her a tissue, giving her an epicene squeeze.  “I understand.  Believe me, if I could figure out a way to break up with me, I’d do it.” Page 157

Dictionary.com’s most appropriate definition would seem to be flaccid; feeble; weak.

obsequiousnessIt was Gil’s signature greeting, accompanied by muted voice and deferred glance, his perpetually doffed cap in hand.  The Falcon used to parody his obsequiousness – referring to him as “trouble at the mil Gil” – but nevertheless considered it his due. Page 162

I may have been able to get by on context with this one, but the Dictionary.com answer that suits is servilely compliant or deferential. 

2 comments:

  1. Great words! I figured out parochialism because of parochial schools, but the rest were new to me. Thank so much for participating today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this meme a lot.
    I will have to check this out for sure.
    You do have an award here:
    http://bookquotes-bookquotes.blogspot.com/2010/04/award.html

    ReplyDelete