Monday, April 19, 2010

Used Book Sale = 19 new books for my shelves!

This might be what addiction looks like...

I did something that I rarely let myself do, last week. I went to a used book sale. Doing such things often results with my husband needing to put together another bookshelf, so he's not such a big fan of my wandering through garage sales, or church bizarres. Especially since there is no more wall space available in our modest apartment.

My sister recently bought a house in a beautiful little town north of the city, and they were having their annual book-sale fundraiser. Well, I couldn't deny a visit and miss the chance to help out her new community. What kind of sister would I be? It just wouldn't be right. So, the kind person that I am, I took one for the team ... and bought 19 books!

Some might ask, why 19? Why couldn't you stop at say, 5? Well, the short answer is, I don't know. It would seem to be some sort of compulsion that I have. I just can't stop buying these books, knowing full well that it will be ages before I will get the chance to read them. Especially if I keep going to the library every week and picking up books I've had on hold there.

Incidentally, it looks as though I've purchased my first duplicate. It turns out that I already have Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry, on my shelf. And it wasn't even that long ago that I bought it either. Tsk-tsk!

Anyway, here are the amazing books that I was able to snag:

For the kids library:
Holes by Louis Sachar
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins


Fabulous Finds:
Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Sula by Toni Morrison
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
Ireland by Frank Delaney
DeNiro's Game by Rawi Hage
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
Empire Falls by Richard Russo
The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden


Canadian Finds:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald
Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry
Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry

17 comments:

  1. I understand. It's hard to resist great books for a cheaper price. Besides, books are investments. Yay for Catching Fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those are DEFINITELY worth getting! Like Never Let Me Go and Catching Fire and Reading Lolita and Geisha! I love book sales. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost like book shopping now more than any other shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have banned myself from book sales until I move in August. Last time I moved I remember having to humph lots of boxes of books up and down three flights of stairs. The one time in my life I have hated books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, great finds... aaand, no worries. I do the same thing too. I can't resist a good book sale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! LOVE Sula and I've got Memoirs of a Geisha on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to resist a good used book sale. I never come away with anything less than a huge stack! Enjoy your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I simply love used book sales - looks like you got some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Precious~ So true, it is almost impossible to resist when you know you're getting them for a cheap price instead of full pop, one day down the road.

    Amanda~ I know, right? I was so thrilled at my finds. If I lived up there I would have probably went every day for the whole week it was on!

    Book Quoter~ Book shopping is most certainly my favourite kind of shopping!

    Opinionated Reader~ That's one way to teach yourself a lesson. No wonder you've imposed a ban. Good luck with the move.

    Steph~ Thanks, it's nice to have the support, and good to know that I'm not the only one.

    Bethany~ Memoirs of a Geisha is in my top 5. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

    Kathleen~ Thanks. I will eventually enjoy every one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Book Mole~ I am definitely lucky to have found so many great ones. Thanks for becoming a follower. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE book sales! Our library is having their annual sale this weekend and I can't escape it-I volunteered to help run it! (hee hee) Now I get to preview before before they even go on the table! Hope I find good ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ann-Marie MacDonald is worth paying full-price for, so congrats on stealing her for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow-- amazing haul! I never miss a used book sale but don't think I've ever found this many great picks at one time--- you lucky bookworm you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tammy~ What an excellent yet terrifying situation you are in. I wish you luck with your finds. ;-)

    Raych~ I first became a fan of hers from Fall on Your Knees. She has a number of documentaries under her belt as well.

    Lesa~ I know, I do feel lucky to have found such great books. And they were all on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! I really must check into used book sales. I feel good about using my Borders coupon. It would be fun to pick some random book that you know nothing about -- a take a chance. Easier to do when you don't pay much for it. (queen bee)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kim~ You simply must make it to a sale now and again. Just make sure you have the room for all of your finds. ;-)

    ReplyDelete