Sunday, April 11, 2010

That's all she wrote... Spring 2010 Read-a-Thon COMPLETE!



1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
Hour 20, which just happens to be when I passed out!

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
Anything by Ellen Hopkins.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
Not really. This was my first one and it was all I could do just to keep up with the reading and all the other activities and blogs that I was checking out. It seemed to run smoothly to me...

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
I have nothing to compare it to, so I'll say everything!

5. How many books did you read?
I read three and didn't finish any, lol. But I was a few chapters away from finishing I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings when I fell asl...zzzz.

6. What were the names of the books you read?
The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami (Audio Book), I know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, and What to Expect Before you're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff.

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
I know Why The Caged Bird Sings. Maya Angelou is an inspiration and a beautiful writer.

8. Which did you enjoy least?
The Elephant Vanishes had a few stories in it that left me scratching my head.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
N/A It was helpful to get the motivating comments.

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I will be participating in all that I can schedule-wise. I think I may just be a reader for a few more, until I get really blog savvy!

So I'm not sure how many total pages I read since one of my books was an audio book, but I'm guessing that I spent about 8-9 hours dedicated to the read-a-thon. It was lots of fun, and I'm sure that with some better planning and taking heed of some of the very useful suggestions by others, I can probably at least double that next time.

See you in October!

13 comments:

  1. I have to agree with Ellen Hopkins. I just read my first book by her recently and was blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did awesome on your first readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never even heard of Ellen Hopkins, so thanks for the tip! Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree about Ellen Hopkins. Her books just fly by! They are massive, too, so completing one of her 600+ page books is a huge motivation!! :) LOL

    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I saw that you became a follower of my blog! Thanks, I will be a follower of your too.

    Congrats. on your first R-A-T. Hope you will do it again.

    On your sidebar I see that you are reading Watership Down, I LOVE that book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did great on your first readathon! I am off to look up Ellen Hopkins. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. I did read your review of 'Blindness' and we're definitely in the same boat on that one.
    I see you're reading 'Watership Down'...be sure to check out the song 'Bright Eyes' by Art Garfunkel on YouTube. It's from the movie and will be sure to have in you tears...I last seen it as a kid but am not man enough to watch it as an adult in case I blubber! :)
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read anything by Ellen Hopkins yet but her books get a lot of positive reviews. I need to read I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings some time.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you were able to participate in the Read-A-Thon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on completing your first RAT! I wouldn't worry about how much reading you actually accomplished, I know it's called a Read-a-thon but I have participated in all but the first one and it has always been more social/fun-time for me. :D (oh, and I have never been able to stay awake for 24 hours!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, I passed out around hour 20 too. It's so hard to stay awake after midnight when everything starts quieting down, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I'd thought of doing an audiobook. You did really well for your first time out...are you sure you're a newbie?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats and well done!

    BTW, if you're getting ready to have a baby, I would recommend The Thinking Woman's Guide to A Better Birth by Henci Goer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lenore~ I think Hopkins should be mandatory reading for all high school students!

    Amanda~ Thanks, I tried. Always room for improvements...just like with anything.

    Shelley~ It was a great time, ty.

    Jennifer~ I'm all about the motivation factor, especially since I read quite slow.

    Wendy~ Thanks for following. ;-)

    Beth~ Thanks and you're welcome. ;-)

    Marc~ I'll be sure to look the clip up. I will have to rent the movie too, once I'm done with the book. Thanks

    Christina~ Hopkins is pretty raw, so be prepared for some gritty content. Great stories to teach the youth about making proper choices in life, though...and it's all in poetry.

    Icedream~ Thanks for the words of encouragement!

    Heidenkind~ It sure is. But it was fun to try.

    Bybee~ The audiobook worked out great for doing daily routine stuff where I required my hands. ;-)

    Mama Librarian~ Thanks for the recommendation. I'm excited to read anything I can get my hands on relating to pregnancy these days. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete