Sunday, April 11, 2010

Library Loot: April 7th - 13th, 2010

I love the library. Reaching back into the depths of my mind I can still fondly remember the trips on my bicycle over to our local public book castle. Now that I think about it from an adult perspective, it wasn’t very big or very glamorous, but I guess that was part of its beauty; it didn’t need to be. You could just waltz right in, be greeted by a friendly librarian, choose any book you’d like, a slew if you wanted, and without paying a single penny, lug your loot back to your favourite spot – my bedroom closet, in fact - and dig in. Coming from humble beginnings, this felt like winning the lottery.

Twenty years later I still visit the very same library, and although I’ve moved around and visited many across the city, I still favour this quaint and unassuming haven. The time capsule that it is, I could probably walk to the middle isle of the nonfiction rows and find the exact book where I first learned in depth about the female reproductive system at 9 years old. Now that’s nostalgia!

Toronto is a fabulous city, and I am proud of it for many reasons, but our library system which is the world’s busiest urban public library system, would have to be at the top of the list. Thanks to our reservation system I can wait in cue to get any book in the entire Toronto Library Catalogue shipped right to my home library, something I take advantage of every week.

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

My picks from this past week have been on my TBR list for a very long time, and I'm really excited to finally get the chance to read them. First off are two classics that I'm sure most of you have read.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Watership Down by Richard Adams



The last one was only published in 2009, but I've been in cue for it at the library for at least 7 or 8 months.

Apologize, Apologize by Elizabeth Kelly



Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. (I'm a follower now) Love your sidebar quotes, and the description of yourself!

    Here I thought it was pretty slick to reserve a library book, have them do the leg work, and then go pick it up. But to have it delivered? WOW! I haven't read any of these books. 7-8 months? I look forward to your review and hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful library memories you have. I too visit the same library that I have for over 20 years. I live much closer to other branches but I suppose I have so many wonderful memories in my childhood library that I just can't bring myself to go to another one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim! I do love quotes.

    Welcome Kathleen. I guess our loyalty extends itself to the libraries in our lives too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading about your experience with libraries. For any booklover, a library IS HEAVEN! :) I've also got many fond memories about going into the library and reading all day long as a child! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love libraries though I never truly appreciated how wonderful they are until I moved to Israel where all the library books are in Hebrew! I can't wait for my trip to America this summer where I have big plans for catching up on my library reads.
    I had started Watership Down a couple of years ago, at my husband's urging, but I never finished it. I'm just not really into stories told from the perspective of animals. But perhaps you will enjoy it more then I did.
    The other books look interesting.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and I've really enjoyed discovering yours

    Simcha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elle~ Thanks for your kind words. No one understands the joys of the library better than another booklover, that's for sure.

    Simcha~ This could be a quandry that I will be faced with, as I am not usually into stories told from animal perspectives either. In fact, the book has been sitting on my desk begging me to pick it up for about three weeks now, yet I keep finding reasons to pick up other books in its place. I can only renew it once more though, so time is ticking. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete