Monday, April 26, 2010

Library Loot ~ April 21st – 27th, 2010

library-loot

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library, and of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries.  Click on the button above to go to the original post and the Mr. Linky listing.

Up in the Air by Walter Kirn

upintheairhardcover-440x663

I’m really excited to see George Clooney’s highly acclaimed film, Up In The Air.  I’ve had the movie for a couple of weeks now but have put off watching it until I could read the book.  I was finally able to snag it at the library and start reading it last night.

 

 

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

the_time_travelers_wife

My girlfriend raves about this book and has been after me to read it for a while now.  She really wants me to watch the movie with her because apparently it’s one of those stories that she can’t get her husband to sit through.  I sure hope I like it, or I won’t want to sit through it either. 

 

 

The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe

9780385312370

I’m not sure where I heard about this one, but it looks like I’ll be in for an emotional ride.  I plan on including it as one of my reads for the Irish Reading Challenge which I’m signing up for.

6 comments:

  1. The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my top ten books I have ever read. Such a beautifully written story with a hint of sci-fi and fantasy. Yet you develop such a relationship with the characters. Sometimes I find myself saying "Oh Henry/Clare/Gomez would like that." Then realising they're not real ;)

    Alas the movie is a bit of a disappointment. I would recommend reading the book first because there is so much they miss out. Also, Edward Norton was my personal choice to play Hnery but there we go ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been reluctant to read The Time Traver's wife because the synopsis just didn't appeal to me, but I ended up loving it. For weeks afterwards I kept thinking back to the book and its characters. Though I haven't heard such good things about the movie. Hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Butcher Boy has such a striking cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opinionated Reader~ The movies often are disappointing. It's near impossible for them to live up to the fantasy that we create in our heads. Too bad Edward Norton isn't in the movie, I looove him.

    Simcha~ The synopsis has had me leery as well. I hope I feel as passionate about it as you when I'm done.

    Eva~ Yes, it does grab you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the movie Up in the Air and would love to see how the book is. I'll look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear that there is not much similar between the two. The book is slow but still enjoyable, so far. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete