Saturday, April 10, 2010

First Post for the 24-hour Read-a-thon



So I was a little late to start, but I don't feel too bad about that because I can imagine that I will be reading into the wee hours of the morning.

I am happy to report that I just won the surprise draw and as a result got to choose two books from the prize page. Yeah me!

My progress so far is as follows:

Hour 6 - Audio book ~ 3 short stories from The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami while doing my daily treadmill workout.

Hours 8 & 9 - 93 pages of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Mini-Challenge!!!

I'm going to take this opportunity to take part in the Feed Me Seymour! mini-challenge that is being hosted by Linus' Blanket.

We are supposed to share a passage from one of our read-a-thon selections pertaining to food that is being eaten or described.

I've chosen a paragraph from I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, page 15, 3rd paragraph:


Although the syrupy golden rings sat in their exotic cans on our shelves year round, we only tasted them during Christmas. Momma used the juice to make almost-black fruit cakes. Then she lined heavy soot-encrusted iron skillets with the pineapple rings for rich upside-down cake. Bailey and I received one slice each, and I carried mine around for hours, shredding off the fruit until nothing was left except the perfume on my fingers. I'd like to think that my desire for pineapples was so sacred that I wouldn't allow myself to steal a can (which was possible) and eat it alone out in the garden, but I'm certain that I must have weighed the possibility of the scent exposing me and didn't have the nerve to attempt it.




Hope you're all enjoying your books. Happy Reading!

12 comments:

  1. Rah, rah, rah...happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books are awesome
    Books are great
    Congratulations on reading so much
    You’re first rate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing fantastic!!! I wish I could make it to the wee hours but I'm not holding my breath!!!


    Cheering you on!
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a Story Book

    At night when sunshine goes away,
    And it's too dark for me to play,
    I like to come inside, and look
    For new friends in a story book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, Murakami! I love his writing, but have not yet read The Elephant Vanishes. Great use of your Read-a-thon time, I'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing great! Keep up the great reading!

    Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You won a prize in Hour 9: http://24hourreadathon.com/2010/04/10/891/. Email DeweyReadathon at gmail to claim your prize! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A story is a special thing
    The ones that I have read
    They do not stay inside the books
    They stay inside my head.
    (author unknown)

    Enjoy the rest of the read-a-thon. You're doing great!

    Wonderful excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all of you awesome cheer leaders! You've really helped to keep me going this many hours. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't let those eyes droop
    head out on the stoop
    get some fresh air
    before heading back to that chair
    pick up your book
    take another look
    read, read, read

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful job on the Read-a-Thon! Way to go! I'll be looking forward to reading with you on October. Keep on rocking and reading, read-a-thoner! It's been lots of fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this book in middle or high school...I need to read it again!

    ReplyDelete